Saturday, October 14, 2006

The list

Most people have a list of what they hope for in their future spouse. I've found issues with this method in the past, especially with the heartache and limitations it places on relationships which are clearly from God but yet don't fit this man-made mold. But there is one list which I love and keep close to my heart as I wait. It was provided by (at least try and look surprised) C.S. Lewis.


My Dear Wormwood.
So!

Your man is in love - and in the worst kind he could possily have fallen into- and with a girl who does not even appear in the report you sent me...

I have looked up this girls dossier, and am horrified at what I find. Not only a Christian, but such a Christian - a vile, sneaking, simpering, demure, monosyllabic, mouselike, watery, insignificant, virginal, bread and butter miss!

The little brute!

She makes me vomit. She stinks and scalds through the very pages of the dossier.


I've always believed that, apart from God, the ones who know us best are our enemies. They see us without rose coloured glasses, they aren't forgiving, and they don't pull any punches. Here is a list written as if by a demon, encompassing exactly what I hope for in a woman. I hope that she does truly stink and scald through the dossiers of hell.

No comments: