Saturday, April 28, 2007

And I ain't seen the sunshine since, I don't know when

A fence, a concrete wall, a pack of guard dogs, countless rolls of barbed wire, bristling guard towers, and a full moat with sharks and crocodiles. Some people build these as an impenetrable fortress around their heart, never allowing anyone to get close enough to hurt them. A Fort Knox for the heart.

But for some, this wall serves as a prison, to protect those outside from what is inside.

I don't crush well. My friends, seem to have the knack; They like a girl, they realize it won't work, they cease to be interested. Simple as that. Ya, they may have lost an evening, a weekend, or a week in adoration and pursuit, but they get over it and move on. I've never been able to do that. My heart gets too involved, the feelings last for a long while, I try to hide my feelings (or end up blurting something out in desperation), and I kill friendships in the process. In the last 13 years, I have liked four women. There are so many possible permutations for that equation, some not bad at all, but the reality is that I never lasted longer than 6 months between these infatuations, which makes the average length troubling.
I've completely lost contact with three of them, and the fourth isn't far behind.


Folsom, Joliet, Alcatraz... these is where this heart belongs for a good while longer. It's a killer.

I know I had it comin',
I know I can't be free,
But those people keep a-movin',
And that's what tortures me.

1 comment:

Victor Panlilio said...

dude. you. are. in. fine. company.

Ever camped out on someone's front lawn in the hope of catching a glimpse of the object of one's adoration?

been there, done that, have the t-shirt.