Tuesday, April 17, 2007

Undefined

For the last 18 years I have filled in "student" on forms.
For the last five years, I was primarily identified by what school I went to and what I was studying.
And for as long as I can remember, I always had an answer to "what's next?"

At 9:00 tonight I left the college, having just completed the last requirement in my applied degree program. I haven't felt this empty in years, I am undefined!

Ya, I have a job. But I spend my days working for an idiosyncratic boss, doing busy work while he holds our department back from actually developing and growing. We could do a lot for this company, we've been told from multiple sources that we have many things to offer which would benefit the whole organization in big ways (save them money, time, and face). I am loyal to the company, I like the company, and so I don't want to leave. But I honestly wonder whether this department, or my career with the company, will ever go anywhere. It's not about money, but I am nonetheless worried that I'll be laughed at when I ask for a raise when I renegotiate as a full time (non-student) employee. I wonder whether I'll ever be allowed to be of any benefit to the company as a whole (and not just the whims of the department head). That's not a nice feeling.

I need purpose, but I can't see any at the moment. What's next?

1 comment:

laureneh said...

ahhhhhh, welcome to my world.